Re: Copyright problem with ELM-ME+

On Sat, Sep 05, 1998 at 12:43:22PM +0000, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I'm slightly confused by the elm copyright as distributed in
> /usr/doc/elm-me+/copyright.  I have extracted the newmail program
> since it is some sort of useful and I don't want to install elm on the
> machines.  The "problem" is that am I allowed to re-distribute it as
> Debian package or not?
>
> This is what /usr/doc/elm-me+/copyright says:

Take a look at the end of the file:

:NOTE: Elm is now in the public trust. Comments, suggestions, bug reports
:and the like should be sent to Syd Weinstein; elm@DSI.COM (dsinc!elm)

I suspect the license you're quoting is the original elm license, and that
elm was put "in the public trust" (which I suspect means the same as "in the
public domain") after elm development stopped.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks