Name clashes [Was: Intent to package: molecular biology programs

On Friday 28 August 1998, at 15 h 17, the keyboard of Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:

> - many programs, since they come from different origins, have the same
> name. At least three "scan" executables to put in /usr/bin, besides MH's
> scan. Should I create a /usr/gensoft tree, like we do here to prevent
> name clashes? (Yes, I know only X11 does that on Debian, but the set of
> all biology programs is almost as large.)

For instance, the Phylip package has a "factor" program and shellutils has one, too. How should we handle such situations on Debian?

1) Add a diversion: no, the two "factor" are completely unrelated.
2) rename Phylip's factor to phylip-factor. But it confuses users who will not find it. And it's not consistent (or should I rename all programs phylip-*?)
3) Create a /usr/gensoft tree, add /usr/gensoft/bin in the standard PATH and here we go. Heavy.