Re: Naming of new 2.0 release

Michael Bramer wrote:
> If we make cd's between the image-set, than we should make a patch-cd.
> The vendors have only one cd-set and no problem with the versions.
>
> A vendors can make the patch-cd, if he see a market for this cd.
>
> in short: no cd-set, no problem.

I'm sorry but you seem to miss the point.  We have to release a new revision
of Debian 2.0 containing security fixes.  This revision needs a name which is
either 2.0.1 or 2.0 r1.  So the current Version of Debian GNU/Linux is 2.0.1
or 2.0 and the revision is 2.0.1 or 1, depending on which naming scheme you're
using.

This new revision will be announced and a link on the ftp directory will
show that it is not plain and innocent 2.0 anymore.

Thus cd vendors will be selling either plain 2.0 or 2.0 with local extensions
or one of the following revisions of 2.0.  This will happen independed of us
making official cd sets or not.  Thus no cd set -> no problem is simply wrong.

Version 2.0.1 looks different to 2.0 revision 1 for regular users.

Therefore I hope we'll have Debian 2.0 r1 soon and no 2.0.1.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Unable to locate coffee, operator halted.  -- Stefan Farsch