Re: Shadow file permissions

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 09:26:03AM -0700, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> "Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> wrote:
>
> > And I have not run Xadmin either (tho personally I don't see
> > the problem with it modifing the files...it is an admin tool
> > afterall...noone complains about vi being able to edit the
> > files...but I didn't get into that argument when I saw it...
> > not interesed in it now :) )
>
> That was my point also, but I was 'outvoted'... :)
> I sure could have needed your
> help... :D

Well...
At the time I really didn't have much of an opinion on it :)

I saw the argument on debian-mentors and...I read it..but I was
new to the list then et al.

I thought of it more recently when I was looking at another program
for managing users. I was looking at RedHats contol-panel the one called
usercfg (I think) anyway...
I always liked it. You can add and delete users and...what I liked
was if you delete a user it will offer to search for all files
owned by that user and change them to ownership of nobody
Ity would laos give the optoion to archive their home dir.

I thought about it and...while I agree that no package should edit
files like passwd and shadow on its own...I don't see why
a utility like this is any differnt from an editor doing so as the
system admin told it to.

> Ortega AK-47 FSF Khaddafi fissionable Uzi terrorist security cracking
> PLO Semtex Kennedy DES spy Albanian

hmmm - I often wonders if they are watching :)

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"