Re: Poor Man's XT doc (pre-releace)

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 12:03:36AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> >  >Does X allow sharing of floppy disks and audio?????
> >
> >   The X protocol does Audio.
> >
> >It does?  Can you give an example of a program that uses this?
>
> I recall that one of the recent X releases had a feature called "Broadway"
> which did audio as well as the usual video/mouse/keyboard.  I do not know of
> an example of a program that supports this.  Someone else sent me an email
> suggesting the use of NAS for this, NAS is another solution to this problem.

hmm I have heard of NAS....dunno much about it tho. Know where info could
be found?

> It's just occurred to me that there aren't that many X programs that use
> sound, many of them fall into the category of games such as Quake (which you
> definately don't want running accross the network).  Maybe the real solution
> is to allow running Quake etc locally?

Well...
This is an XTerminal...not really meant as a "Game Machine" but...
if the XTerminal is on a fairly nice machine...and the network isn't
too saturated... you could probably play Quake on it ;)

Currently I use tkdesk allot...WHne I run X on my SUN system querining
shit-box (i386) I have had reports (read Sun system is downstairs) that
Shit-box plays the sounds...however i get no soun dform my audio-enabled
IPC.

There needs to be some way to play sound...hmm...
I have been thinking I will need to write some sort of "Control System"
for the XTerminals...
basically providing a way for the sys admin to comunicate with them outside
the X protocols (say for remote rebooting 1 or even a whole lab of them
to load a new configuration..or to shutdown at night)

maybe part of this system could be something that manages nfs mounts etc
to load local floppies and cdroms for the XTerminals
audio woul dbe more of a challenge.....

hmm could load a kernel module to intercept writes to /dev/audio
and use a network connection to send those from that are inheritted from
some xdm session back to the originating host and call them on /dev/audio..
it is right now way beyond my capabilities to write that but...
certainly an idea for the future...
-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"