Re: All of uu.net about to be banned.

> Some time around  Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:44:06 EDT,
>          Raul Miller wrote:
>  > Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> wrote:
>  > > It affects me.  My provider's smarthost will only accept email with
>  > > the right From address.  This will be extremely inconvenient for me.
>  >
>  > Can we set up a debian smarthost for folks like Guy?
>
> I think this is a good idea.  IMHO, the best way to implement it would be to
> only relay if there is some string in the header or in the body of the
> message that will only be known to debian-private subscribers.  How hard is
> this to do with qmail?   I suspect it's not trivial, but I'll look into it and
> see what I can come up with.
>
> <sigh>  I'll have to defer uu.net ban till I find a way to get the debian
> smarthost going.

There are a couple of ways of doing similar things on the qmail site.

I think Russ Nelson came up with something that allows a machine to relay if
it has recently done a successful POP login from the same IP, which might be a
cleaner approach (no fiddling with ``secret'' headers)

If you want to do the headers thing, then you'll probably have to do the
fixme:fixup thing from qmail's FAQ 5.5, but it's pretty disgusting, and you'll
probably end up with all incoming mail going through it, which is a bit of a
nightmare.

Good Luck, Phil.