Re: Gnome and libtool

Erik Andersen <andersen@inconnect.com> writes:

> I just was noticing that the gnome packages for debian are built using
> libtool 1.0 (the version available in slink). It also appears that the
> debian libtool maintainer has gone AWOL. I noticed this because I am
> starting to write some gnome stuff, and it realy looks like it would
> prefer to be using the stuff at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libtool-1.2.tar.gz
> I checked the bug log, and it looks like this has already been reported a
> couple of times to the maintainer, so...
>
> Does anybody know where Frederic Lepied <Lepied@debian.org> has gone? If
> he is truly missing, I would be glad to make a non-maintainer release.
> I'll be compiling it anyway... I have heard that libtool 1.2 requires
> some patches to fix inter-lib dependancies. Anybody know where I can
> find those? Please copy me on follow-ups, since I don't subscribe to
> debian-devel anymore (too much noise/signal).
>
>  -Erik

[I added Gord and Frederic to the cc:'s.  Also, if anybody replied to this
 on debian-devel previously, I missed it, because I somehow got unsubscribed
 when debian.org had Internic problems]

Do I need to rebuild the Gnome packages to use it?

Gord Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> is the upstream author.  He's also
working on Debian GNU/Hurd.  Maybe he'd like to maintain it?

I just filed some bugs against the libtool and autoconf packages
because they have config.guess and config.sub files that are old than
the ones in the automake package.

We're having a lot of troubles with the NetWinder/ARM port because it
needs a newer config.guess than most packages are shipped with.  The
one that comes with automake knows how to handle "sa110", but not the
older ones from autoconf (circa 1996) or libtool (circa 1997).

I suggested in the bug reports I filed against those packages that a
package could be made of the config.guess and config.sub files, as Per
Bothner <bothner@cygnus.com> supplies them, and automake, libtool and
autoconf could depend upon that.

Cheers,

 - Jim