Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > You can't compare egcs to gcc 2.7, egcs is SO MUCH BETTER that it's not
> > even funny :P
>
> Ok. Then the figures I gave before about pentium optimized stuff seeming to
> be 15% better on a pentium are probably bogus too.

Yeah, almost certianly.

> > I vote that we dump the multi-arch proposal and just penitum optimize with
> > pegcs some critical tools like tar, gzip and maybe dpkg.
>
> What about things like, say, povray, that have a definite speed increase
> when optimized?

If the maintianer deems that pentium optimizations are important for a
program then they can optimize. In the case of povray it will certianly
never be run on a 386 or 486 :>

> > Joey, what was the size difference for the gzip binary?
>
> joey@kite:~>dir =gzip
> -rwxr-xr-x   4 root     root        48556 Jul 25 20:30 /bin/gzip*
> joey@kite:~>dir /mnt/box/bin/gzip
> -rwxr-xr-x   4 root     root        45660 Apr 25 22:07 /mnt/box/bin/gzip*
>
> The first is pentium optimized.

And gcc 2.7 compiled right? That's not a usefull comparision again, you
have to use the same compiler. Someday we will dump gcc 2.7 and use
egcs/gcc 2.8 for the C compiler and we will get a space hit.

Jason