Re: Intent to package: lmbench

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com> wrote:

>  If it's not already been done, I think I'll throw together a Debian
>  GNU/Linux package of `lmbench'.  See:
>
> 		<URL:http://www.bitmover.com/lmbench/>
>
>  I will send a courtesy note to the author/maintainer, to make sure a
>  Debian GNU/Linux package of his program is OK with him.  :-) ... in
>  fact, killing two birds with one stone, I'll just CC this note.
>
>  (Is it ok?)
>
>  `lmbench' has a GPL, with the following added restrictions:
>
> 1. You may not distribute results in any public forum, in any publication,
>    or in any other way if you have modified the benchmarks.

This means it has to go into non-free.  From the DFSG:

    3. Derived Works
       The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
       allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license
       of the original software.

At least, I think that not being able to distribute results counts as
different terms.  [Though I can understand why he phrased it that
way, I'd prefer that he had used a "you must call it something else"
clause.]

--
Raul