silly socks5 copyright

The socks5 packages I packaged were rejected (and rightly so) for a bad
license.  My pathetic excuse is that I had been using previous unreleased
versions at work and so didn't double check.

The copyright has changed slightly in the new release, nasty bits have been
highlighted:

Copyright (c) 1995,1996,1997 NEC Corporation.  All rights reserved.

The redistribution, use and modification in source or binary forms of SOCKS5
("Software") is subject to the following conditions:

XX1.  You may use the Software for non-commercial purposes only, such as academic,
XX    research and internal business use.

2.  You may modify the Software, provided that

    a) such modified Software can only be used for the purposes as set forth
       above; and
    b) the modified Software must include clear statements confirming that
       changes have been made, and the date and description of any such changes.

3.  You may not copy and distribute the Software nor any of its derivatives in
    whole or in part unless:

ZZ    a) the distribution is limited to your internal business;
    b) the copyright notice and this list of conditions appear on all copies;
XX    c) no charge is associated with the distribution of such copies; and
    d) NEC USA retains exclusive ownership of the Software.

4.  The name of NEC USA or any of its affiliates shall not be used in any
    advertising or publicity pertaining to the use, modification or
    redistribution of this Software without the prior express, written
    consent of NEC USA.

5.  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
    OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT
    OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, TRADE OR PRACTICE.  Some
    jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the
    above disclaimer may not apply to you.

    IN NO EVENT SHALL NEC USA OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY
    SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
    WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
    ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT
    OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

XX6.  You agree and certify that the Software will not be exported outside
XX    the United States except as authorized and as permitted by the laws
XX    and regulations of the United States.  If the Software have been
XX    rightfully obtained outside of the United States, you agree that you
XX    will not re-export the Software, except as permitted by the laws and
XX    regulations of the United States and the laws and regulations of the
XX    jurisdiction in which you obtained the Software.

7.  Notice to Government End Users.

    If this Software is acquired under the terms of a GSA contract -- Use,
    reproduction or disclosure is subject to the restrictions set forth in
    the applicable ADP Schedule contract;  DoD contract.  Use, duplication
    or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions set forth
    in subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of 252.227-7013 Civilian Agency Contract.
    Use, reproduction, or disclosure is subject to 52.227-19 (a) through
    (d) and restrictions set forth in the accompanying End User License
    Agreement.

    Unpublished rights reserved under the copyright laws of the United States.
    NEC USA, Inc.
    8 Corporate Center Drive
    Melville, NY  11747

8.  This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York.

All the bits marked XX mean non-free, the export restrictions only apply if
Kerberos support is compiled in (at least that's what I believe). It's not
because I can't get Kerberos here.  There were no stern warnings on the site
(which you would expect if it was a problem without Kerberos).

The ZZ bit does concern me - but WTF does "internal use only" mean?

I havn't looked at the pine-src package to see how that is done, but instead
of going to that level of hassle, why don't we just make "source" release
only - a pristine source tarball and a Debian patch?
Then just "dpkg-source -x", "dpkg-buildpackage" and you're done.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution