Re: Debian i386 freeze

> > >   24200  termcap: vulnerability
> >
> > Termcap isn't really used by Debian.  I'm still waiting to hear more from
> > the maintainer.
>
> dark did a NMU for this one. Waiting in incoming at the moment.

I've been in Incoming all morning.  If it hasn't yet been installed, it's
not waiting either.

> > >   24126  screen aborts with signal 11 in X
> > I hadn't heard that yet.
>
> Actually this is a ncurses3.4 bug. It has already been reassign & merged
> with the correct ncurses3.4 report.

ncurses was just installed about 5 mins ago.

> > > Package: dhcp
> > > Maintainer: Rich Sahlender
> > >   24443  [SECURITY] dhcp: potential buffer overflow problems
> > > [STRATEGY] Eloy A. Paris promised to do a NMU to fix this.
> > >
> > > Package: dhcp-beta
> > > Maintainer: Rich Sahlender
> > >   24442  /etc/init.d/dhcp-beta sources inexistent /etc/init.d/functi
> > > [STRATEGY] Eloy A. Paris promised is making a NMU to fix this.
> > >   24445  [SECURITY] dhcp-beta: potential buffer overflow problems
> > > [STRATEGY] Eloy A. Paris promised to do a NMU to fix this.
> >
> > These can also be removed without a large impact.
>
> Hmm, Eloy promised he would make the NMU today. It would be a shame if he
> is a couple of hours too late :(

There is a dhcp upload waiting in Incoming (as of last night) but it has
a bad signature.  I just sent mail to Rich about it.

> > > Package: wu-ftpd-academ
> > > Maintainer: Heiko Schlittermann
> > >   24466  netstd: Upgrading netstd overrides wu-ftpd-academ entry in
> > > [STRATEGY] "Will be fixed within the next two days or nights.", quote from
> > >            Heiko Schlittermann.
>
> > For those "necessary" packages, I can wait the weekend if absolutely
> > necessary.
>
> IMHO wu-ftpd-academ is as necessary as dhcp. dhcp is used in many sites and,
> unlike wu-ftpd-academ, has no alternative. If you let wu-ftpd-academ through
> at least let dhcp also in hamm.

I have to admit, I personally don't think this wu-ftpd bug is "important".

> > > Which would take us down to 18 bugs.  While they matter, archive bugs can't
> > > be fixed by mere mortals and I am trying to convince wichert that since
> > > non-us did not freeze with hamm and has essentially slink level software in
> > > it now, there's no reason to count the bugs that aren't likely to be fixed
> > > for non-us as hamm critical.
>
> I'm biased on that. Since nonus is not a real part of hamm it should not
> hold the release. On the other hand we want to offer a stable non-us
> tree as well. I'll remove all nonus entries from the bug-list for hamm,
> but I really think we should try to work somewhat on nonus. Ideally I would
> like to be able to by a non-us CD in the shops here.

We'll see what we can do for Slink.

> > > Package: kdebase              (i386 contrib)
> > > Maintainer: Stephan Kulow
> > >   24643  kdebase: We have no licence to distribute KDE binaries when
> >
> > Removeable.
>
> Uh.. if you remove kdebase you might as well remove the all kde* packages,
> since they probably depend on kdebase.

I could at least move the kde stuff to non-free.  I'm not a legal expert
but I always thought the GPL could only be applied to the code you write
and not the code you include.  Thus, the rights required by the GPL only
apply to the kdebase code and do not have to apply to the library it links
against.

> > > Package: smail
> > > Maintainer: Soenke Lange
> > >   23717  smail: smtp entry in inetd.conf gone after smail upgrade
> >
> > Fixed in latest upload.
>
> Are you sure? I couldn't find any reference to that in the changelog.

Sorry.  You are correct.  Is this reproduceable?  I find it unlikely that
it only happened to one person.  Smail should be a pretty popular package.

> > > Package: xbase
> > > Maintainer: Branden Robinson
> > >   24642  XF86Setup doesn't run: the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xi
> >
> > I'm still waiting to hear from Branden about this one.
>
> Branden has built a new X which people on #debian are currently testing.
> It's available at http://master.debian.org/~branden/xfree86 . For all
> you apt-fans out there:
> deb http://master.debian.org/%7Ebranden/ xfree86/

I should drop in...