Subject:      Re: Manual Page Editor
From:         eric@fudge.uchicago.edu (Eric Fischer)
Date:         1998/05/08
Sender:       news@midway.uchicago.edu (News Administrator)
Newsgroups:   gnu.misc.discuss

<rjk@greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Ben Bullock <ben@hayamasa.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > If you want to write a manual for a GNU program you should use
> > texinfo though not roff.
>
> Well, that's the official line.
> Personally I *like* man pages.

I'd rather write man pages than Texinfo files, too, but it is nice to
be able to produce multiple output formats from the same source and
troff doesn't lend itself well to mechanical translation.  I'm mostly
finished with a rewrite of Makeinfo that can produce HTML and troff
-man and -ms files as well as the usual Info files from Texinfo
originals.  I'm trying to work out the copyright issues with my
employer so it can actually be released; stay tuned for updates.

eric

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    <mailto:jk@espy.org>    <http://web.espy.org/>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer...................<http://www.debian.org/>