Re: dselect bug?? client-only installations of X..

--On Sun, May 10, 1998 6:14 pm -0400 "Bob Hilliard" <hilliard@flinet.com>
wrote:

> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>> In the case of a recommends, surely it should accept my choice not to
>> install an xserver?
>
>      It is not intuitive, but this is the proper behavior.  You can
> force dselect to skip a "recommended" package, but it isn't easy.
> dpkg will install what you want, ignoring any "Recommends:".  Section
> 8.2 of the Packaging Manual says:

Granted.

Does anyone else feel that better behaviour for dselect (or for apt's front
end, when it materialises, maybe) would be to question you about recommends:
initially, but thereafter accept that you know what you're doing?
Otherwise, of course, it reminds me every time I use dselect (and I may
install xserver-vga just for a quiet life, since I have spare disk space).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |