Re: MDA's was: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

'From Bill Leach <bleach@bellsouth.net>'

I don't see why either but it sure has not been done.

[snip]
> I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to make configuration just
> as easy for a dial-up case. We need to figure out what the typical dial-up
> cases look like and integrate them into the configuration as well.

[snip]

#1 may be simple to do (and I know that I did do it once) but if you notice,
my from header is 'wrl@gandalf.wconsult.com' and that name and user are
unknown outside my own LAN.  Now I will admit to having been guilty of not
making notes about what I did when I managed to set that up properly before.
Best I can tell, the configuration that I presently have for exim should
'nuke' that header and replace it -- but it obviously does not.

AFAIK, #2 is NOT doable using any normal feature of sendmail, smail, or
exim.  These mailers are designed to be 'pretty damned smart' about
figuring out what mail server to send to based upon the specifics of the
particular message but have no concept of possibly different internet
connections.

> --

best,
-bill
                bleach@BellSouth.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!