Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 10:11:48AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > You need MTA.  You just do.  But you don't need a complex MTA.  If you
> > consider sendmail the standard to judge by, most everything is smaller,
> > simpler, or better for personal systems.  My personal choice for an MTA is
> > qmail.  The savings in configuration and maintenance (or lack of needing to
> > do either) far outweighs the time required to wait and watch it compile.
>
> To be fair: if you install qmail you also have to have gcc, bintools,
> make, libc*-dev, and maybe more.  [Also, on a slow system without much
> disk it can take several hours to compile -- not that I think this is
> a likely consumer configuration for next year.]

You're right, I would not want to compile this on a 386.  However, his
target is gamers and my target is windoze desktop users.  His target has mor
HD space to spare than mine for certain, but I think I can get the base
devel stuff in mine.  I'm shooting for < 100 megs total with installation
media being 40 megs or less.  I can get basic devel in that, and neither of
us are worrying about slow machines.

I will admit though that I would want to try and see if I could get the
author to let me package the binaries for this task.

> > You don't need ftpd and telnetd.  You probably do need an http server for
> > documentation, but then again dhttpd is small and does the job nicely.
>
> Much better than a server would be a browser which supports cgi for
> local browsing. [Warning: this concept would need to be fleshed out
> before it could be implemented. Issues are: mime type issues for
> non-executables, mime-type issues from the result of a "cgi", handling
> of forms data without an http server, nph-, and maybe a wee bit more.]

Not sure I wana mess with the innards of lynx.  When I learn how to do it
right, I would like to build a debian/ directory for lynx-ssl and find a
free-world maintainer for the package, but.

I'd LOVE to package it.  But, I'm not in the free world.