Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 02:33:54AM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> [..]
> > Bruce could have followed the great Freeware tradition of building
> > concensus by putting togethor a team of Debianites dedicated to
> > creating a newbie-friendly wrapper for the technically excellent
> > Debian distribution.
> [..]
>
> If there are a group of people interested in doing this still, I am very
> much interested in seeing this done and contributing what I can to the
> project.

I find this idea interesting and would like to see it...

>   NO

> editor is as easy (read: mindless) as pico and pine is a user favorite.  And
> the most
> config qmail requires after package installation is control/me, which I'd
> have a script edit for you..  =p

I dunno...I think ee and ae are both pretty damned easy and mindless :)(ae is
sooo mindless I have noticed it is putting CR in my text documents)

> > Free Software is all about diversity.
>
> I agree.  Debian is a great dist on technical merit, even though it doesn't
> have some of the niceties needed for a home-user who wants to try Linux on
> their machine and is willing to learn--but can't really afford a lot of time
> to figure out how to handle the common tasks we take for granted.

This is very true... I know a number of people who just want to"Point and click
and have it work"

> > At a fundamental level I question the proposition that Debian is not
> > concerned with usability. Beyond that I question the fact that RedHat
> > is so much more usable than Debian.
>
> See Crystal's horror story once she got everything installed.  rpm is a
> file-based dependancy, not a package based.  She knew she needed a file, not
> where to get it.  This is the kind of thing dpkg does well IMO..

I have used both Debian and RedHat and I agree... dpkg is MUCH easierto use than
RPM is....and it works much better...at this point in the short
few months I have used debian I have installed and uninstalled and generally
used dpkg hundreds of times...
on my past RedHat systems I alwasy had a lengthy read of the man page...
it took forever to get it to work!
The thing is this....RedHat is a GREAT 1st system....by that I mean the firsttime

you ever install linux...as much as I love debian and think it is greatly
superiour in many ways...
I still recommend RedHat for the first time.
This is just because it installs a nice useable system so nice and easy...
and has graphical admin tools....the learning curve to linux is sharp (unless
you are comming from another Unix) but RedHat makes the first few days/weeks
easier
remember: "There are only 2 kinds of system admins, those who have screwed their
computer up while logged on as root, and those who havn't YET"
after they are at the level of having done that..(I have personally done that
um...
lets see...at least 3-5 times) ..that is when I suggest debian :)
RedHat is a very good system to get started on...but hard to grow with
Debian on the other hand makes a great 4th system (yes 4th...I messed it
up once after I switched too..probably will again someday)
-Steve