Re: why not mingetty??

Raul Miller writes:
 > Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> wrote:
 > > This is of course trivial to do by putting a clear screen escape
 > > sequence at the top of /etc/issue. Make it 25 blank lines if you don't
 > > want terminal-type dependencies...
 >
 > Conceptually, you probably don't want to clear the screen for new serial
 > connections (makes problem analysis hard -- imagine talking over the
 > phone to a casual user and asking "What kind of connect message did you
 > get?").
 >
 > Probably the right thing to do is issue "\027e" at the bottom of the
 > loop, after the point where a serial line would be dropped.

I use agetty.  I like it that the screen is not cleared by
default.  Use the /etc/issue file if you want to muck with the
screen.  Use your .bash_logout if you want to clear the screen as
you logout.

If my idea of a useful default is different from yours, then let
us each have her way with a configurable file.  Don't cripple
either of us by hardcoding the "better" default into the .deb
file.

Thanks,

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>