Re: policy suggestion (seeking discussion)

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> wrote:
> I'm not a dpkg expert, but AFAIK modifying directly the dpkg databases
> (yes, almost everything under var/lib/dpkg are dpkg databases) is a
> Wrong Thing (TM) In the current implementation those databases are
> ASCII files, but that may change (and surely _will_ change) in the
> future, so relying in that format will cause compatibility problems.
> The right way to solve that issue is by adding an(other) option to
> dpkg.

Um...

I don't like the idea of making dpkg itself yet more complicated.

I think it's reasonable to supply an independent tool which serves
this purpose.  [I think it's reasonable to do this for every instance
where dpkg must run while dpkg is already running.]

--
Raul