Re: intent to package flip

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Here are the author's description and copyright.  I have questions
> about each.
>
> > This program converts text file between MS-DOS and **IX format.  It
> > works under System V, 4.3BSD, Ultrix, and MS-DOS/Turbo C.  It detects
> > binary files in a nearly foolproof way and leaves them alone unless you
> > override this.  It will also leave files alone that are already in the
> > right format.  User interrupts are handled gracefully and no garbage or
> > corrupted files left behind.  An MS-DOS binary will eventually appear
> > in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
> >
> > Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
>
> I have used this program for several years, and like it better than
> "todos" and "fromdos" which are currently part of the sysutils
> package.  The automatic detection of binary files is *very* handy.  I
> am willing to make an independent package.  However, should it instead
> be incorporated into sysutils?
>
> The included manual page includes this copyright/license statement.
>
> >     COPYRIGHT
> >	   Both this documentation and flip are Copyright 1989 Rahul
> >	   Dhesi, all rights reserved.  Permission is granted to copy,
> >	   use, and distribute for any commercial or noncommercial
> >	   purpose in accordance with the requirements of version 1.0
> >	   of the GNU General Public license.
> >
> >	   Note:  This software has not been endorsed by the Free
> >	   Software Foundation, the creator of the GNU license, and I
> >	   am not affiliated with that organization.
>
> It claims both "all rights reserved" and the GNU GPL.  Can this be
> included in the Debian main distribution as is, or shall I try to get
> the author to clarify it (assuming he can be located after all this
> time)?

The "all rights reserved" is standard issue for a Copyright. The GPL is a
License agreement. Many authors write complex license agreements rather
than use the GPL because they are afraid of loosing their Copyright.
They are mistaken about this. These two items are separate. It is, in
fact, the "all rights reserved" provided by the copyright that provides
the "authority" to issue the License Agreement.

This looks like DFSG compliant software to me,

Dwarf