*** The Upcoming Release of Hamm ***

There seems to be a lot of speculation about the upcoming release of Hamm.
The date "April 20th" seems to be the favorite date that is getting passed
around.

I can guarantee everyone right now that no release will be made at that
time.  Because of the delays in freezing hamm and sheer lack of manpower,
the testing group cannot be ready for at least 3 more weeks, probably more.

Considering the huge number of critical, grave, and important bugs that
are still open, though, I don't think the testing group is going to be
the limiting factor.

So, when will Hamm be released?  You decide.  It's up to the devolpers
to set the date by fixing the problems that are currently holding up
the release.  As soon as the last release-necessary bug gets closed or
downgraded, we'll probably be ready to ship.

If you want to join the testing group, mailto:bhmit1@mail.wm.edu (Brandon
Mitchell) and ask if you can help out.

If you want to close out some of these bugs, find a package that interests
you and contact the maintainer offering to help.

I'm feeling sick and am very busy, so I'm going to be blunt here...  Lively
discussions about whether this is good or bad and the things that can be done
about it are largely pointless.  More discussion is not going to get it out
the door sooner.  The only thing that is _really_ going to help is to roll
up your seleves and get down & dirty.  We need backbones -- not jawbones
or wishbones.

(My appologies to all the backbones out there who are already getting under
the load and doing the work.  You know who you are.)

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )