Re: Dictionary Packages

Am 12.04.98 schrieb hilliard # flinet.com ...

Moin Bob!

BH> provides the source for the client/server software.  These
BH> dictionaries total about 32 mb in compressed form.  Two of them, which
BH> amount to about 24 mb, are essential for a satisfactory server, but it
BH> would be highly desirable to have all installed.
BH>      Is there any policy regarding large text packages?  I can not

No, there isn#t.

BH> find anything on this subject in the Policy Manual, but I remember
BH> that Ian Jackson has expressed his disapproval of large text packages
BH> that are not documentation.  One person has suggested to me that

Well, maybe we should remove emacs :)?

BH> introducing such bloat into the distribution would be undesirable.

I don#t see a problem with the size of the package.

BH> could make installer packages to format and install the tarballs that
BH> are available for anonymous ftp from the Dict Group's site.

Please, don#t make installer packages. A lot of users don#t have FTP
access and it#s very expensive downloading such big packages. I would
prefer it on the Debian CDs.

BH> archive by about 60 mb, including source, but it would penalize those
BH> users who have slow or no net access, or who exorbitant telephone and
BH> Internet access rates.

Like in Germany, right :(.

BH> of packaging these dictionaries.  Is this a subject that should be
BH> raised on policy?

I think that the size of package is not a problem of the policy.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15
Mailbox: mbudde@hqsys.antar.com    http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semb2204/