Re: META: Can we please restrict the list?

Hi,
I am the person that deals with debian spam.  I'd like to take this
opportunity to ask everyone to forward the spam they see on debian lists to
spam@debian.org.  I do read -user, -devel, -private, -policy, and countless
other debian lists ;), but sometimes I don't get to them fast enough, so if
people forward the mail, it would help.

> On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 07:00:20PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 05:52:10PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> > How far do you want to take this? We could say that all we ever see
> > from person x is trash, so they don't belong here either. Bad idea.
> aol, and the free email services, hotmail, juno, etc.
> AOL seems to be a special case, its the single biggest source of junk on the net.

Well, AOL has millions of subscribers and only a tiny amount of them spam.
AOL is also very serious and pro-active about fighting spam.  They have filed
quite a few lawsuits against spammers recently.  Of course, it is very hard
for them to filter every single new account, but they do cancel their accounts
fast.

I've decided to block all aol.com mail using procmail rule that will forward
it to spam@debian.org.  If it's a real message, I will bounce it to the
appropriate list.  I hope this will only be a temporary measure.

> I realize there are going to be exceptions to the general moronic level of aol subscribers, but
> couldn't they telnet to their accounts on master? (all real developers have these).
> and as for the free email services, just ban the lot of them.
> Since one needs to have real net access to upload a package, one has
> no need for the ability to post from the free (hotmail, juno and friends, services).

Sorry, there is a reason to use free email services.  I change providers quite
frequently, and notifying everyone of my new email address, and resubbing to
all the lists got to be a big PITA real fast.  From then on, I've been using a
free email forwarding service, and it has been quite a relief.  I know a lot
of people (including some developers) who are in the same boat as I am.

Thanks.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com