Re: Backspace bug

Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@debian.org> writes:

> Jeff Sheinberg said:
> >
> > Please, just leave it like it is.  This is a feature of fvwm, and
> > is consistent with the fvwm's philosophy of being able to navigate
> > the desktop without the use of the mouse.  Control-Left, for
> > example, takes you to the next left virtual desktop.
> >

> Ummm, for those of us that play an occasional game now and then that
> require pressing ctrl/arrow keys simultaneously .ie. quake, it is
> *not* a feature. It is a royal pain... hauling you off to the next
> desktop when you're running and shooting an opponent quickly gets
> you very dead. I've never had fvwm do this by default until hamm.

This is not a pain only in quake. It is commonly used for navigation
in a text editor to move to the next word, i.e. all the emacsen are
supporting this feature. Users who know Win* will expect the
Ctrl-Arrow keys to work in a similar fashion.

IMHO the fvwm design is broken to grab such important and commonly
used key strokes for a rarely (but important) used function. The
solution would be that there is *one* key to move the focus to the
desktop. Then you can use the arrow key to move to an other virtual
desktop.

Bye
  Christian

--