Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 12:31:00AM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> bruce@va.debian.org  wrote on 17.03.98 in <[🔎] 19980317182500.1699.qmail@va.debian.org>:
>
> > The mission of Debian and SPI is to promote and distribute free software
> > to the world, and to educate the user community. This is especially binding
> > on SPI: it's in the declaration of the purpose of our corporation, and we
> > are legaly bound to pursue that mission.
>
> Well, I'm no part of SPI, I'm part of Debian.

That's an excellent point. I find the statement that it's SPI's mission
to do those things etc to be rather pompous. Since Debian is the main
vehicle SPI has to accomplish this, this means that the Debian developers
are expected to do those things. I don't think it's *fair* to expect
something like that at all. Suddenly, it seems the developers are here
to serve SPI.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/