Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 08:59:27PM -0000, bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> Pat,
>
> I understand your concern. I've been watching the Debian development for
> about as long as anyone. We've gone from being the leaders to being a little
> hobby distribution, there's one Debian system for every 100 Red Hat systems
> now. The subscriptions on our mailing lists are half of what they used to
> be. The way we are running the project there is no chance that we will
> ever be much more than an auto-erotic exercise for programmers, who write
> for themselves instead of making anything that someone else would want to
> use. I find this distressing, because I feel that the work I put into Debian
> is being enthusiasticaly thrown away by developers who want it to be nothing
> more than their personal hobby.

Bruce, you forgot the silent majority.  :-)  Some of us do choose to follow
the leader and try to contribute back to the community while having fun at
the same time.  We are just as not vocal as some other developers.  We have
a lot less complaints.  :-)

> It's for this reason that I've just resigned as president of SPI. I want
> no part of this rat pack any longer. I'm going to become a Red Hat user.

While I understand your frustration (I had been in kind of the same boat
last year in a small local volunteer organization), I think your last
comment is very destructive and discouraging.  Come on, we are all in this
together; if the leader just throw up his/her hands and give up, where are
we supposed to go?

If it is not too late, please reconsider your decision.  You are a great
leader.  Let's help spread the good news of Debian to the world.  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada