Are we in this for ourselves?

A common message I hear on Debian lists is "I just do this for myself".
I understand that we are all volunteers, and we can't be expected to give
up everything for the users, but the mission of Debian is _not_ to make a
great Linux distribution for "myself".

The mission of Debian and SPI is to promote and distribute free software
to the world, and to educate the user community. This is especially binding
on SPI: it's in the declaration of the purpose of our corporation, and we
are legaly bound to pursue that mission.

So, while we welcome the labor of people who mostly do it for themselves,
there is a certain amount of working _together_ that is required of every
member. Even though you do all of the work on your packages, you're not
an island, and you're not expected to act like one. The alternative is
many teams of one person, all creating the ultimate distribution for
themselves.

So, please folks, less "me" and more "the world".

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	President
	Software in the Public Interest