Re: XZX Copyright

On Aug 04, Juan Cespedes wrote:

> 	Well, I'm having some problems with the XZX Copyright... I
> even don't know if it will fit into non-free.  Here is a copy:
>
>  * Permission to use, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation
>  * for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above
>  * copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and
>  * this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name
>  * of the copyright holder not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
>  * distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.  The
>  * copyright holder makes no representations about the suitability of this
>  * software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied
>  * warranty. THE CODE MAY NOT BE MODIFIED OR REUSED WITHOUT PERMISSION!
>
> 	Note the last line: "THE CODE MAY NOT BE MODIFIED".  Does this
> mean I cannot distribute a compiled (ie, modified) binary?

Hello Juan!
This is not so good. The author should at least allow to distribute a
patched binary. Let me clarify it: We can distribute the intact and full
source code. But we must be able to change location of installed files (e.g.
path names), and we have to be able to make patches against bugs. We must
also be able to compile the patched sourcecode and distribute this (minimal)
modified binary. These are the relevant parts from
/usr/doc/debian-policiy/policy.html: (ver 2.2)

    3. Derived Works
       The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
       allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license
       of the original software.
    4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
       The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
       modified form only if the license allows the distribution of
       `patch files'' with the source code for the purpose of modifying
       the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit
       distribution of software built from modified source code. The license
       may require derived works to carry a different name or version number
       from the original software. (This is a compromise. The Debian group
       encourages all authors to not restrict any files, source or binary,
       from being modified.)

> 	However, from the README:
>
> > XZX is free, but still copyrighted (see file COPYRIGHT).  You can give it to
> > anybody if you not change, or remove anything from the package.  However, I
> > spent a lot of my spare time on developing XZX and also money for buying
> > Spectrums, so every donation is welcomed.  If you like this program, you should
> > at least send the author a postcard.
> >
> > Future versions of XZX may not be free at all.
>
> 	Shall I contact the author "Erik Kunze <Erik.Kunze@fantasy.muc.de>"
> asking for permission?
>
> 	Please give me some advice... thanks.

The last is not a problem. Because he did not requested a postcard *in the
copyright file*, we can live with the sentence "..., you should at least
send the author a postcard". It is not part of the copyright itself, is it?

Please contact the author and ask him to change the change the copyright a
bit to suite our policy. Mention, that XZX then can go in the main part of
debian.

Good Luck,
Marcus