Re: status of bzip

On Fri 12 Dec 1997, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 11 Dec 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
> > Andy Guy <awpguy@acs.ucalgary.ca> writes:
> > > It is different becuase the lzw patent holders (HP?) have given a
> > > general license for non-profit use of the patent.
> >
> > That's true.  It's Unisys that holds the patent, btw.
> >
> > The patent on bzip is moot anyway, as bzip2 does not have any patents
> > on it.  It should go to main.  I think we should discourage the use of

I've received word from the author. Apparently there doesn't seem to be
a concrete patent on the bzip arithmetic coding (not lzw). However,
different arithmetic coding compression schemes _are_ patented, and to
prevent possible trouble, the author decided to remove bzip.

> > bzip by not having it in the archive.  Someone mentioned that there
> > was a bunzip which could go to non-free?
>
> I started this thread, and mentioned that there is a bunzip-only source
> available. I suspect that that will also have to go into non-us, if the
> original bzip also had to go to non-us due to (silly) US patents.

The author (<Julian_Seward@muraroa.demon.co.uk>) thinks that the bunzip
should be freely distributable; he doesn't know of any restrictions.
So, perhaps the bunzip code could be included in the bzip2 package;
alternatively, offer it as an "extra" package.

BTW, he seems to have a new version of bzip2 almost ready, with improved
speed.

Here's the significant part of his message for completenes: