Re: status of bzip

Andy Guy <awpguy@acs.ucalgary.ca> writes:
> It is different becuase the lzw patent holders (HP?) have given a
> general license for non-profit use of the patent.

That's true.  It's Unisys that holds the patent, btw.

The patent on bzip is moot anyway, as bzip2 does not have any patents
on it.  It should go to main.  I think we should discourage the use of
bzip by not having it in the archive.  Someone mentioned that there
was a bunzip which could go to non-free?

Guy