Re: How to build glibc?

On Fri, Oct 03, 1997 at 01:29:53PM +0200, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> On 3 Oct 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
> >
> > > Yes, Debian patches for 2.0.4 are 671139 bytes long (gzipped!).
> > > We would need to improve our source package format to avoid this...
> >
> > Those are largely the kernel include files.
>
> Would not be better to move those kernel include files to another package?
> (making libc6-dev to depend on this package).

Yes, this has been suggested before, and will probably eventually be
done.  FYI (for others), this package would be different than the
current kernel-headers package since it would install in /usr/include
instead of /usr/src.

> I always thought that the diffs should be ideally modifications to the
> original source files, not additions of other source files (which Debian
> did not write).

This is one reason I'd like a new source package format that
incorporates a .tar file (or similar) for Debian-specific files (e.g.
the debian directory) that are added.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road