Re: Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Lalo Martins wrote:

> I'd suggest changing the (rather misleading) names contrib and non-free.
> Contrib doesn't say anything; it is most times non-free as well, or it would
> be in main!
>
> Maybe starting with hamm a better categorization could be used. Like:
>
>   -Non-US    (already exists)
>   -No-profit (can't be sold for profit)
>   -No-sell   (can't be sold even for cost)
>   -Rest-use  (restricted use)*
>   -Stub      (installers - these can always be sold as they're made by us)*
>   -Depprobl  (free stuff that depends on non-free stuff, like motif apps)*
>
> This makes things clearer for admins and CD vendors. Stuff marked with a *
> would go into official CDs.

Agreed, although I'd also add a 'Orphaned/Obsolete' section.
The problem with the current scheme is that no package in non-free is
distributed on any CD, although many (most?) packages in this section
could be.

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -