Re: pinepgp 1.1 uploaded to master.debian.org

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Hakan Ardo wrote:
>
> >  pinepgp (1.1) unstable; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * Now depends on pgp
>            ^^^^^^^
> pgp is not in the main distribution, so pinepgp should go in contrib,
> not in mail.

actually, it should go in non-us, otherwise it will never install on a
new system (i.e. one which doesn't have pgp already installed) using
dselect.

dselect installs files from unstable/stable, then contrib, then
non-free, then local (on my system local is non-us because i mirror it).

if pgp is not currently installed then dselect's Install will bomb out
when it is unable to resolve the dependancies for pine-pgp. Trying
Install again wont help because non-us will NOT be processed (and
hence pgp will not be installed) UNTIL after pine-pgp is installed and
configured.

The only way out of this loop is to exit dselect and install pgp
by hand with dpkg. Not really good enough when what we want is a
seamless, mostly automated install procedure which DOESN'T require
intimate knowledge of the latest dependancies mistakes.

Packages which depend on packages in non-us also belong in non-us.

which reminds me: i think ftp.debian.org should have an empty
subdirectory called non-us. This would make it easy to mirror
ftp.debian.org, exclude "non-us/", and then mirror the non-us site onto
the right place in the hierarchy.

also, dselect should know about it in the same way that it knows about
contrib and non-free. This would allow users to have non-us packages as
well as their own local packages, all managed by dselect.

craig