Re: Should wg15 be splitted?

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

> Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:
>

> > If we split wg15-locale on a per-language basis, we would have to
> > do the same for GNU i18n packages like fileutils, textutils, etc.
>
> This is why I consider Ian's implementation of partial installation
> *really* important. It will permit to install from each package only the
> catalogs and documents for the selected languages whose wg15 packages
> are installed.

Why should wg15 be splitted if every other package is going keep all
its catalogs and docs? Wouldn't it be better to choose which languages
to install with a config variable? (Until cfgtool is widely used the
config variable can be stored in a file /etc/languages).
This way it can be selected at a very early stage of the instalation,
as we do now for the keyboard settings. It may even control which
language will be used for the installation menus and help pages.

> To complete the wheel, we will need an affordable (and simple) method to
> force all packages to add other catalogs and docs when a new language
> will be selected by installing its wg15 package, maybe by
> reinstallation.

I agree, but then again a new language may be selected by adding it
to the /etc/languages file. We may have a config-script that asks for
languages to install, modifies /etc/languages, and then go through the
list of installed packages installing the desired catalogs and docs.

I think that making this selection by installing another wg15 package
is not the most obvious way to do it.

--
Enrique Zanardi                                ezanardi@molec1.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental