Re: Release is currently inflexible...was Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Brian C. White wrote:

> >         Now, let's try to set up something constructive for this old
> > packaging problem: (assuming it's a critical bug since it slows down a
> > lot the other ports)
>
> Do people feel that this is important enough to hold up the next
> release?  This is the general criteria I've been using to decide
> which problems are "critical" (hence the "*" on my page).

	I agree it's not very critical, but since it slows down the non
i386 ports, it's "moderatly critical" _(;
	Anyway, the new package format is out for about 6 months now, and
it's high time to get this fixed.

> > - We'll be able to check which developpers dropped the projet.
> > Some developpers don't reply to email, haven't uploaded for months and
> > some of their packages have dozains of bugs.
>
> Yup.

	To tell the truth, I think this is even as (if not more)
important than the packaging format ifself.

NB: yesterday someone said on debian-private he's been of the net for 1
year without any prior notice, and when he came back he found he was
still 'considered' as the maintainer of his package. This fact gives us a
clue about "maintainer tracking": a developper can vanish for nearly one
year and no-one notice about it. _):

After we finish the repackaging, we definatly need to set up some way to
find out about maintainers who are not active any more.

NB1: I don't hold anything against maintainers who leave, some (as the
one who shown up again yesterday) had serious reasons for this.

NB2: I'm currently writing a "repackaging plan". will try to post it
before this WE.

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -