Re: Release Schedules, etc.

> Regarding why I chose Debian, here's the main reasons:
>
> Technical :
> - the packaging system
> - the attention to minimizing security holes
> - the excellent technical support on the mailing lists
>
> Philosophical:
> - the spirit of distributed volunteer development, as it closely
>   resembles how Linux was developed in the first place (because
>   I think that it is a model that works very well)

Agree with that. I can add I prefered Debian over RedHat cause I'm know
how it's work and I can install and manage personal package by myself
(with just little knowledge compared to some other administrating task).
The system are enough on the edge (and can easily be more if your want,
just make you're own kernel with 2.1.x is straight easy with
kernel-package and the appropriate source).

May be the technical support can be emphase. I don't think we really need
a 1-900 line for tech support. May be a reference list of persons
available to give personal assistance (paid or not) and said that
debian-user aren't just as other mailing-list or news group. You can
really have a good answer(s!!) in the next 24 h and it's free and
available all the time! (The point here is to emphase the fact that the
Debian Technical Support are one of the best - Try Borland or Microsoft
if you don't believe me! )

> Comment regarding new official CD and artwork policy:
>
> For me, it's not a big issue in choosing Debian.  The most important
> aspects in choosing a distribution (for me) are technical and
> philosophical.  I'm sure that if you build a clearly superior
> distribution, it is inevitable that its use will sky-rocket.  All it would
> take is recognition of that technical superiority in a few well placed
> reviews

Image are important. Debian are almost see as a "non-professional"
distribution because we don't talk about it in the leaflet of InfoMagic
and they are no "Official" distributor. Also, last time I present a GOLD
CD to my boss, he asks where I'm stolen this stuff... It'll be hard to
believe for him that's a professional product doesn't have a good CD and
was free! If I can have the first point, may be the second will be more
easy to accept.

Also, I'll be really proud to have my own Debian Linux CD with the
little "sketchy" penguin on it ;)

 Never play leap frog with a unicorn!
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
Finger me for my pgp key (finger ninf01@gel.usherb.ca)