Re: required to be root? (Was: Debian development using ...)

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:18:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
> To: Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com>
> Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: required to be root? (Was: Debian development using ...)
>
> On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>
> > Yes, I considered that.  At my site, several developers will
> > have access to root so this wouldn't work in general.
> >
> Have you tried sudo? I'm not sure, but I think it knows who the user is
> even when it's giving root permission. (I could be all wet here, but it's
> worth a try)

It treats you just as special as root, but it still knows that you are
user 'joebloe'.   I noticed this when I get mail.  It pops up with a
messaage "You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/servo"  when I was in a
sudo session. (I sudo to mc, and hit ctrl-o and get a # prompt, and have a
nice full shell environment.  Better than su.)

--
                              Daniel Stringfield
         mailto:servo@southeast.net http://users.southeast.net/~servo