Re: Debian development using the master account?

Dale> On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Chow Chi-Ming wrote:
>> Under the new package format, you still have to upload the .deb
>> every time.  What I meant was, instead of uploading a full file set
>> including the .deb file everytime a new debian version comes out,
>> which is quite expensive in terms of bandwidth if the package is
>> big or frequent updates are required, developers can upload only
>> the .dsc, .diff.gz and the .changes.  Automatic generation of the
>> .deb file can be performed centrally on master.
>>
>> The idea is to upload minimal stuff that fully defines a new
>> version.  IT is a trade-off between bandwidth and processing/disk
>> burden on master.

Dale> Distributing the bandwidth amongst the developers keeps every
Dale> individual contribution managable and fair.

Uploading only diffs means a saving of bandwidth for all developers
and reduces _a lot of_ traffic into master.  It is not about
re-distributing bandwidth, but about _cutting down_ bandwidth.  It
makes much difference for those who pay by-the-minute for their modem
access to the net (I am being one of the unluck few) who wish to
maintain large packages.

Dale> Loading the bulk of
Dale> the effort on to master is something I can't speak to...that's
Dale> not my contribution. I can say that putting more burden on