Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Brian C. White wrote:

> > > I never said otherwise.  People with such bug reports can do one of
> > > several things:
> > >
> > > 1) Mark it as "forwarded" -- This should be done for any "bug" that is
> > >    beyond the responsibility of the maintainer, which almost all feature
> > >    requests will be.  Of those that are not, most will be small enhance-
> > >    ments that can easily be done within a few months.  There are a few
> > >    exceptions to both of these cases, but they cover the large majority.
> > >
> > > 2) Mark it as "done" and keep a local copy -- As it is not truely a bug,
> > >    it could be removed from the tracking system and kept on a local "todo"
> > >    list.
> > >
> > > 3) Tell me (politely) that it is a feature request -- I'll remove it from
> > >    the critical list.  Once every three months it will be added again, but
> > >    one simple email and I'll remove it again.  I don't think a reminder
> > >    every three months that there is an outstanding bug report is too much
> > >    of a concern.
> >
> > None of these things get the bug fixed, so what's the point of all the
> > effort?
>
> The point of those was to _not_ fix the bug.  This is about those rare cases
> that have reason to _not_ be fixed and how they can be handled.

My point is, if doing nothing, and leaving the bug quietly on the bug list
isn't one of the options, the the above rules turn the bug tracking system
in a punitive tool instead of a supportive one. Anything that adds to my
work load without providing some additional benefit begins to look like
punishment to me. We need to be able to use the bug reporting system
without being abused by it..

Luck,

Dwarf