Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 14:04:13 +0100 (MET)
From: Hans Lermen <lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de>
To: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
Cc: "James B. MacLean" <macleajb@ednet.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: Debian Specialities

On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Hans Lermen wrote:
>
> lermen >The other thing is the non-standard /usr/include/linux which we can't work
> lermen >around. ... your tour now ;-)
>
> /usr/include/linux usually contains a copy of the kernel include files not
                                        ^^^^
... which is the problem. It should be a _link_ into the real kernel source.
( or atleast the ./include tree of the real source )
When people (what happens quite often) upgrade the kernel, they forget
to delete debians /usr/include/linux and establish that link to the kernel.

If I were debian, I would have the usual link plus a /usr/src/linux/include
such like this

  ln -sf /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
  ln -sf /usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include/asm
  ln -sf /usr/src/linux/include/scsi /usr/include/scsi

and finaly:

  ln -sf /where/I/have/my/favorite/linux /usr/src/linux

The above is the only link you have to change, if your kernel source
gets a new one, this is easy to handle and would not confuse people.
( Slackware does it, RedHat does it, SuSE does it, and many others too.
  ... why not debian also? )

> a symlink as common. How does that affect dosemu?

Dosemu needs to know _where_ the kernel source is and has to verify
that it doesn't do anything silly, because some important
stuff is compiled depending on the kernel. Those parts will perhaps
become fewer, when 2.1.x becomes 2.2.x, but they will exist also than.

So long,
Hans
<lermen@fgan.de>