Re: bumping the version number

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I think we should deprecate 1.0 and bump the version number to 1.1, so
> that authentic copies of the release are not confused with the one on
> the Infomagic CD.

This is a good idea.

Regarding the use of a code name for the release: Considering what's
happened, that would be a good idea, too.  I agree that "development"
would be a good name.

I wouldn't make the development release *too* hard to get to, as a few
people have suggested doing.  I think that having a separate login for
getting it is excessive.  It's in our best interest to make the
development release as easy to get to as possible, so as many users (who
all know what they're getting into!) can install it and help us make the
released version more stable.

I'd rather make it more obvious than we've been doing that 1.1 is a
development, not a released, version.  I think that renaming the place
where it's stored on the FTP archive "development" and moving it to an
unreadable directory (with the name of this unreadable directory named
in a README file, after the disclaimers, warnings, etc.) is sufficient.