Re: conf-file recovery after manual removal of a package

Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: conf-file recovery after manual removal of a package"):
> Would dpkg reinstall the removed conffiles if the user is installing
> an upgraded package version?  If so, I think it'll be confusing to
> users to have dpkg behave so differently depending in what version
> of the package the user is installing.

This is the whole damn *point*.

> In any case, perhaps it'd be friendlier to have dpkg consider a
> missing conffile a change whenever reinstalling a package, and prompt
> something like
>   config file /etc/init.d/halt not present, install from package?
> That'd avoid informing that dpkg had not installed a desired config
> file which had been removed, and leaving them wondering how to get
> it back.  It'd be at the cost of an extra prompt in the case where
> the user had intentionally removed the file and wanted it to stay
> gone.

No.  The whole point of this fancy conffiles updating scheme is to
avoid the user having to answer questions all the time.

There will be command line options for modifying the conffile update
behaviour when (a) I figure out a sane way of specifying them and (b)
I have some time.

Ian.