From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding Raphael's platform
To: Debian Vote <debian-vote@lists.debian.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:50:52 -0500

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:59:45PM +0000, Thom May wrote:
> Hi,
> with regard to the proposal to create sourceforge.debian.org, I have some
> concerns and some questions (for all the candidates):
>
> 1) What resources do you feel that debian could provide to its developers to
> allow them to work more productively on their packages and other debian
> specific work?
>
> 2) Do you feel the sourceforge-for-debian proposal is a viable one given
> debian's limited resources and the already busy nature of our sys admin
> team? (mostly for Bdale and Branden)

I'm not sure if "sourceforge" itself is the answer for Debian
developers, but I for one think that a really well put together web
based tool for Debian developers that allows them to track all of their
packages, bugs, uploads, builds (from autobuilders) etc. all in one
place is a great idea.

As it is now, developers have to go to 10 different places to get all
the info they need. I'd love to login to people.debian.org, get my
custom home page.

- See new bugs since the last time I logged in.
- Categorize them, respond to them.
- Change information about them (severity, status, tags).
- See what architectures have built my last upload of the foobardicator
  package.
- Check the logs for failed builds.
- Active a binary-only recompile.
- Add trackers for other packages, that my package may depend on.
- See the status of the package I uploaded in incoming (accepted, new,
  rejected, installed).
- Get important announcements via web notes.

I'm not sure if sourceforge could do all this.

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '