OT: Looking for Resources on Brazilian Open Source Laws

First, I want to apologize for writing in English. I don't know
Portuguese at all. I hope someone on this list might be able to help me,
even if this request is somewhat Off Topic.

I'm writing a legal paper about the international copyright regime and
its effects in Latin America and Asia.  As there is increasing pressure
to enforce strong copyright protection everywhere, I'm arguing that open
source and GNU/Linux contribute to economic development and democratizing
access to information without dependency on US multinationals (e.g.,
Microsoft).

I'm trying to find more information about the Brazilian open source laws.
In particular what happened in Rio Grande do Sul in 2000 and more
recently with the national legislation.  I've only found a few English
language articles that seem to lack precision about exactly what steps
the state has taken.

If anyone on this list could point me to any English language resources,
or other mailing lists, or possibly answer some questions about Porto
Alegre/Rio Grande do Sul and the national GNU/Linux, I would appreciate
it very much. I think I've gotten as far as I can with google.

I do plan to eventually make the paper available for public consumption.

I believe any responses should be off list.

Thanks very much.
--
Adam Kessel