Re: [Question for the whole list, please read] Vegastrike 0.5.0 Packages Ready

On Thursday 15 May 2008 10:08:42 am you wrote:
> > I'm not sure if it's even worth
> > trying to keep track of multiple source packages for one game.
>
> It is worth it, not because of upstream bugfixes, but because of local
> bugfixes. In case there's a bug in local packaging, fixing just one
> package would reduce traffic between Debian mirrors and the traffic
> caused by users that are updating. Both would make ftp masters and
> mirror hosters happier :)

But then data packages rarely need any kind of changes to begin with. Those
updates will more likely occur between upstream releases of the package, in
which case if we did have multiple source packages, we would have to reupload
every one of those packages, and the mirros and users would be updating every
single one of those packages.

In any case, the better solution I think is coming from projects like
debtorrent and apt-p2p.

> >> Initial and complete install and package is still 500mb (right?) but
> >> upon update, a significantly smaller portion of the package needs to
> >> be updated.
> >>
> >> I was annoyed with large updates to Alien Arena and that was the
> >> primary reason I removed it.
> >>
> >> Also, as I suggested few threads ago, is it possible to, in
> >> cooperation with upstream, create a lite data version which would be
> >> available for people like me with hard drive constraints?
> >
> > I'm not sure upstream wants to make the lighter version of vegastrike
> > themselves. You can ask again at
> > http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11276. They only
> > gave me suggestions on what to do.
>
> Hm, yes. Well, in case it's not possible, then it really might be
> smart to pull their data files as they suggested. You'd just need to
> move binary vegastrike into contrib (since data would then not be
> provided by main).

I'd rather have vegastrike in main. Also, I would like the 'vegastrike'
package be the package that installs the full game. Something
like 'vegastrike-lite' would have the missing data files, but again, I think
upstream doesn't want to release a lighter version but instead gave me
suggestions.

Andres