Re: Vegastrike 0.5.0 Packages Ready

Andres Mejia wrote:
Hello,

Has it been decided what to do with games with huge data packages? Currently, the orig tarball for vegastrike-data is 485.6MB, and the deb is 486.5MB. There won't be a new vegastrike-music package since upstream bundled it with their data this time.

Hi,

I'm the Fedora vegastrike maintainer

Anyway, the packages vegastrike and vegastrike-data are ready in SVN for review and for anyone willing to upload them. Both packages would end up in main, and uploading both packages would close all bugs for the vegastrike packages. I also took care of all the lintian warnings/errors for both packages.

As is they cannot be in main as some of the music is CC By-Nc-Sa licensed, see:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8502

So you can do a couple of things:
1) Move vegastrike completely to non-free
2) Remove the non-free music, see the forum discussion for a
   list of what to remove (this is what I've done for the Fedora
   packages)
3) Split the data package in a music and data package and put music in
   non-free
4) Split the data package in data, music and music-nonfree, with only
   the latter going to non-free

Note that you may want to split the .deb files (not necessary the sources) in -music and -data in any case, so that user can choose the first download the mere 340 MB of data to try vs and then only if they like it also download the additional 100+ MB of music

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

If you decide to remove the non-free music I've patch updating the playlists to cope with this available here:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/vegastrike-data/