Re: debconf, debcamp and webbased goplay

* ivucica@gmail.com <ivucica@gmail.com> [2008-03-18 10:58:55 CET]:
> On 3/17/08, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> > > 2. Are those just screenshots or could they be any kind of images
> > > related to game? (For example, splash screens?)
> >
> > Do you think a spash screen would be really representative for the
> > game? Me doesn't, but that doesn't mean that it might not make sense in
> > corner cases.
>
> I think that e.g. Duke Nukem's cover brings more "spirit" of the game
> to mind, than a random screenie of the first level :)

 If the cover is not completely oposite of what happens in the game
(like Miry described), I don't see a big reason to not do so. Like I
said, there is always places for exceptions, but those should be
reasoned and not just because it "looks cooler" but has nothing to do
with the game itself in the end (which pretty often is the case for
covers, especially when you have a background on the c64 and know how
they looked back then).

> Few sources of thumbnails:
> * games-thumbnails-small (one thumb per game)
> * games-thumbnails
> * if online, dynamic fetching of screenies from web, storing in
> ~/.games-thumbnails and perhaps /var/lib/games-thumbnails

 dynamic fetching shouldn't be done without explicit request from the
user, it's still about size requirements, and also bandwidth.

> > right, it might make sense to have the longtitle from the menu file in
> > the package overview on the righthand side.
>
> tmw or The Mana World, which would touch a 10yr old child's interest
> more when randomly browsing, prior to clicking? :)

 And again, where to get that informations from? And it has "The Mana
World is a 2D MMORPG" in the menu, too.

> > One more thing that would be definitely something I would put into
> > the web-interface - but I'm not too sure how that would be doable in
> > goplay itself. The thing is: Where to get the full name of the game
> > from?
>
> I think gnome-app-install gets icons and names from .desktop files.

 Yes, but then you already require the application to be installed.
goplay isn't only about already installed stuff.

> > > 5. Not all games seem to be in the system. For example, a "Multiplayer
> > > RPG" called The Mana World (package tmw).
> >
> > tmw is in it.
>

> Negative (for me).

 Then I'm sorry (for you) - but I can't reproduce it not appearing in
there. Do an apt-cache policy tmw and apt-cache show tmw to see where
your problems might root.

> I thought it's tag related.
>
> But, no, I don't have a private build.

#v+
rhonda@edna:~$ grep-available -FPackage -X tmw -sTag
Tag: game::rpg, role::program, use::gameplaying
#v-

 Not sure if it appears to you in a similar way. If not please
investigate a bit further, but it should definitely be there and I still
expect the problem on your end then being a general one.

> > [69 lines of fullquote snipped]
>
> Wee :)

 Thanks for taking the hint. :)

 So long,