Re: Warsow Content License and Sauerbraten Similarity

This one time, at band camp, Andres Mejia wrote:
> I just noticed this line in the sauerbraten-data copyright file.
>
> The Sauerbraten game is freeware, you may freely distribute the
> Sauerbraten archive/installer unmodified on any media. You may
> re-compress using different archival formats suitable for your OS
> (i.e. zip/tgz/rpm/deb/dmg), any changes beyond that require my
> explicit permission.
>
> It's very similar to clause 4 of the Warsow Content License.
>
> 4. You may freely distribute the Warsow archive/installer unmodified
> on any media. You may re-compress using different archival formats
> suitable for your OS (i.e. zip/tgz/rpm/deb/dmg), any changes beyond
> that require explicit permission of the Chasseur de bots association.
>
> Someone should discuss the flaws in this kind of wording with
> Sauerbraten upstream, if they haven't done so already.

hi,

the license explicitely allows the redistribution of the software
without having to pay or even asking for permission (at least, we do
have an explicit permission in written form, if only i had not deleted
my old emails...). this applies only to the game media, not to the
source code of the engine and the modfied enet library, shipped with
the sauerbraten/cube2 engine. all sourcecode is covered by the zlib
license, so it's 100% DFSG compatible: nothing to worry about.

the hot piece is the game media: it musn't be modified in any way, when
it's redistributed, also it's not permitted to create derived works
from the media without an explicit permission by the original
author(s). as we don't modifiy anything in the sauerbraten game media,
there's nothing to worry about. all we do with the game media is
explicitly permitted by its license (even packaging it
in the .deb-format! ;) ).

cheers - fuddl