Re: patents on Frets on Fire, Pydance, StepMania and such games

Miriam Ruiz dijo [Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 11:22:58AM +0100]:
> Tom "spot" Callaway, from Red Hat, announced [1] that Fedora won't be
> including any game of the kind of Frets on Fire, Stepmania, pydance,
> digiband, or anything of the kind of DDR or Guitar Hero, due to patent
> concerns [2].
>
> """
> Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
> which meet the following criteria:
>
> A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> crosses that point or line, and gets points.
> """
>
> Any thoughts on that?

Yup. It sounds very much like Space Invaders to me. Space Invaders was
written in 1978 [1], so any patents on it must have already
expired. Or it qualifies as prior art.

Greetings,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_invaders

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23