stormbaancoureur license issues

Paul Wise wrote:
On Jan 8, 2008 12:52 PM, Barry deFreese <bddebian@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
<pabs> hmm, I wonder if README.Debian is still needed
<bdefreese> Dunno
<pabs> leave it for now I guess
<pabs> looks like there is a new upstream - 2.0.2
<bdefreese> jesus, I just built the freakin' thing a week or two ago
<pabs> ah, engine.tga looks like a derivative work of something
non-free - see images-stormbaancoureur/README
<bdefreese> of course
<pabs> he also isn't very clear which GPL he is licencing under
<pabs> bdefreese: it'd be good if the engine.tga ting could be
clarified, and get him to pu the proper gpl blurb in license.txt
* pabs moves on to btanks

I have received a response from the author but I'm not sure in totally answers the questions. Can someone give me some guidance on this? Here is what he wrote:

>#1.  The licensing is not clear.  You state that it is licensed under
>the GPL but do not specify which version nor can I find a copy of the
>license.  Is there any chance of including a COPYING file or License or
>something specifying the license and version (and ideally would include
>the GPL text)?

When I released first, I assumed the then current GPL.
This is what the GPL license text says:

"If the Program does not specify a version number of the GNU General Public License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

We can go with that one, but if you prefer, I can simply declare GPLv3 in the README.

    >#2.  engine.tga.  In the README you state that it is rendered from
   a 3D
    >model that you purchased.  That likely makes it non-free for Debian's
    >purposes.  Can you be more specific with that?  Is it Copyrighted to
    >someone else?

No, the image is copyrighted by me.
I purchased the right to make renderings from a 3D model.

This 3D model is not included in the game.

Does this comment even help any? Even if he has the right to make a rendering, it doesn't make it redistributable does it??

Thanks!

Barry deFreese