Re: Best practices for changelogs

On Nov 15, 2007 5:31 AM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:

>   There is my question: is 'silent' changelog entries fine ? By silent,
> I means changelog entries that do not correspond to any upload to
> debian. There are two aspects about this:

Some thoughts:

In the packages I am a maintainer for, I merge those changelog entries
into the one that will be uploaded.

About mentors; some of you may have seen
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsNet, I'm hoping to convince Signum
about the value of storing each upload, so it is easy to upload the
same version N times. No luck on that yet though.

The ~rfsX idea is fine, but not enough people on -mentors know about
it, so it isn't in general use.

Since we use SVN, we don't really need to worry about the limitations
of mentors (doesn't explicitly make it clear that uploading the same
version again is fine and will overwrite what is already there IIRC
and also the orig.tar.gz reupload stuff).

For sponsors, using interdiff against the version in the archive is
ultimately the only way sponsors should be looking at changes that
were made for a package they are about to upload. Watching the SVN
commits & log is a good way to do that for in-progress packages and
catch & fix problems as they might occur. The changelog is less useful
for that.

I'd also like to echo Andres Mejia:

"In any case, this debate will probably _lead_ nowhere just like it did
at debian-mentors"

--
bye,
pabs